Sunday 30 December 2012

Finals, Farewells and Festivities

It's been a long time since updated and that's because been insanely busy! Firstly had the joys of finals so had a lot of work to do! While the finals weren't worth more than 30% of each module, it's still pretty stressful! I was lucky in that I only had 3 finals and one term paper. Unlike in Glasgow where exams all seem to be pretty strict and we have to sit far away from each other, no talking, special exam rooms etc. in Calgary it's pretty chilled. In fact in my first final (which was at 8am, unacceptably early!) we got given chocolate before the exam, chocolate in the middle of the exam and an extra 15 minutes of time because we looked stressed! Very different, but in a good way!

I had all my finals in the first week of the two possible weeks so on the Friday at the end of my exams with a few others who'd finished exams (and some who hadn't) we went to mine to watch movies, eat brownies and drink wine - lovely! The next day was Matt's birthday, so me, Steph, Kate and Matt's friends went to Twisted. I have to say it's probably one of best nights out in Calgary. The day after was the day Steph was leaving for Christmas and even though we were only going to be parted for a week and a half we had to have an emotional goodbye at the airport.

Then spent the next few days going to bars with friends, saying goodbye to multiple people and putting off packing. While saying goodbye to those who are coming back for the next semester was traumatic, saying goodbye to those who were leaving for good was really hard. Luckily I managed to make it through all the goodbyes without crying, but it was a definite possibility at certain times! By my final night most people had left, and me and Hannah went to meet Matt and Kate for drinks. Unfortunately we got a phone call on the way from Fliss telling us that she had not made her connecting flight due to leaving her passport and boarding pass on the previous plane but she couldn't get in touch with her boyfriend who was supposed to be picking her up the next morning English time from the airport. Fortunately we did manage to get in touch with him and then Fliss ended up on my flight home, which I rather enjoyed. Me, her and Pete had a great flight home, including some sleep which I was rather impressed at, and getting through Heathrow security only took me 5 minutes - what madness is this?! My mum and brother met me at Heathrow with a sign (as requested) and it was a true Love Actually airport moment! Perfect.

I was only home for a week and spent most of it (if not all of it) mildly jetlagged and a bit out of it! But it was great seeing family and getting back to British things like squash (and no for all you Canadians reading this I don't mean the vegetable!) However I greatly missed Canadian politeness, especially while sale shopping - no-one said sorry when they banged into me, ridiculous!

A few days back I flew back to Canada and coming into land all you could see was snow! Jetlag hasn't been too bad, it's almost as though my body was just waiting to return to Canada! Sarah's out visiting for a bit which is lovely, it's nice that one of my friend's back home will understand when I start talking about Canada stuff! We went to see Les Mis yesterday, I cried excessively, in fact I couldn't even stop crying once the film had ended - pathetic perhaps but it was just so sob-worthy! Right now I'm writing this from a hostel in Banff as me, Steph, Sarah and Lise are spending a few days here for New Years, chilling out, skiing and soaking in general mountain atmosphere! Lush! Shall give you an update in a few weeks on all the fun things we get up to!

No comments:

Post a Comment