Wednesday 5 September 2012

First impressions!

So first impressions...Canada is big, like BIG! And Calgary is super big and spread out too, not like Glasgow where I could walk everywhere I needed to go! The horizon here just looks really far away and the sky seems really big. But that's just one of many differences. Some of these differences are good (Tim Hortons, the fact it's a campus uni and I can walk to lectures in around 10 minutes, walk in wardrobe in halls etc.) some are not so good (even when there's a red light traffic can turn right...clearly a bad idea for road safety, supermarket food is expensive) and some are just random (you flick light switches up to turn them on rather than down).

One difference I'm quickly adapting to is the language, while I'm still saying lift not elevator and will never call trousers pants, I'm at least pretty aware of which words I need to avoid saying due to different meaning and confusion with Canadians.

So all in all a pretty good first 48 hours, got a lot of stuff done, but warning for anyone considering a year abroad, jetlag is horrific, only really today (3rd day here) have I been feeling okay and if I was doing it again I'd have arrived a couple of days before move in and stayed in a hotel, rested, got over jetlag so I could really make the most of this week.

Shall keep you updated and hopefully put some pictures up at some point soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment