Tuesday 30 April 2013

The end of the adventure...but not really an end at all!


First an update on things I've done since last chatting! Did all my finals, got thoroughly stressed but made it through. Had dinner with Kate and Chris and Steph at Double Zero which truly did do amazing pizzas. Even though will be spending a lot of the time I'm back in Calgary with them, still felt sad that next year our wine evenings will have to be via skype. Went out to Wreck City (a few houses which are being demolished and artists decorated in crazy fashion) with Hannah which was lovely, even though I definitely looked like a country singer. Had meal out at Original Joes for Claire's birthday. Was so nice to have the majority of us there for a final time. Plus our server was such a sweetie. Then I've had my final night at work with a quiet drink afterwards. I'm really going to miss work, it's been such an enjoyable part of my year abroad (not something you'd normally expect from a job). So that's it, now I'm just packing and cleaning the flat before leaving for travelling. If you can't deal with reading soppy, sentimental mush I suggest strongly that you stop reading now as that will be majority of rest of post.

Obviously over the past few days I've been looking back on the year and how different it has been from my expectations. I honestly didn't expect to fall so in love with Calgary, much as I complain about all it's shortcomings, it's such a great city with such an amazing spirit. Yes, its weather is messed up (it was +20 a few days ago and now it's snowing again), but it gives you something to moan about.

 A lot of people have asked me what I'll miss about Canada the most, and while I may answer wing nights, or hockey really there is no one particular thing that I'll miss the most because everything has just been so great. Before coming out here me and Steph had chatted about things we wanted to do. These varied hugely with things such as "go to Walmart" featuring next to "go horseback riding in the Rockies". I can safely say that we achieved all of that but were dreaming too small because the best thing that I've done is found another home here and a group of people who will welcome back whenever I come back out here.

I can't stress enough just how much I love all the people who I've met out here, you are all people who I've been blessed to meet and I'm so grateful with the welcoming way you've greeted me and made me feel at home even though I'm so many miles away from the UK. Whether I know you from class, or rez, work or IVCF (Christian group), you've all had such a positive impact on my life and I'm glad that I got the chance to meet you. You are all welcome to come visit me whenever and I only hope I can show you the same hospitality that you've shown me!

Year Abroads are kind of weird, because you go from reading about a place to realising that everything you've read doesn't cover what you experience, because you're not just a tourist, you're a resident and you find that perfect bar which you love to visit, you know which bus goes where at what time, you can direct people to different places and best of all you become part of the group of people who live there, understanding their slang and their culture. I'm proud to say that as well as being British, there is now a part of me that is Canadian, and that will never change.

So now looking forward, tomorrow I jet off to New York where I will spend 5 days before travelling to Chile for 7 days, Argentina for 8 days, Miami for 3 days, Vancouver for 3 days then road trip back to Calgary. I'll be in Calgary from 26th to 31st and I'm hoping to catch up with as many people as possible before leaving. But when I do come to say goodbye to people it won't really be goodbye, it won't really be goodbye as I know that I'll definitely be returning at some point, after all I've still got so much more to discover about Canada!

No comments:

Post a Comment